Here you will find practical information for those who already signed up for the field trip to Bulgaria!
After you have applied, you will be contacted by us approx. 4 months before the trip starts. The students are given admission to the field study according to the date of application. There may be several rounds of admission, as some students may decline the offer of a place on the trip. If you are not accepted the year you apply, you will be offered to be on the list for next year.
You recieve an invoice from us where you pay the costs. When you have paid this invoice, you are officially a course participant. All information will thereafter be sent to you by email. Your contact person is Magne Husby, firstname.lastname@example.org
The climate in Bulgaria can vary between 5-30 oC. Rain and wind can make it rather cold, but mostly the weather will be reasonable. Take clothes for all possibilities.
Bed linen is included at all hotels. The hotels are of varying standard, but mostly 2 or 3 stars. Shower and hot water is available in all hotels. Rooms are shared by 2-3 persons of the same gender, unless you pay extra for a single room.
- Time: GMT + 2 hours. In May we will be on summertime.
- Currency: 2 LEV (BGN) = 1 Euro (approximately). You will need some cash for food and drinks because credit card facilities may not be available at the hotels in remote places. However, we shall be passing by cash machines daily, so you will be able to withdraw cash if needed. Most credit cards are accepted.
- Electricity: 220V only. Look on the Internet to find the plug design. Adapters can be bought.
- Driving: Main roads are very good, but others are of varying standard. Driving on the right side.
- Cyrillic alphabet, but also Roman letters along main roads, at the airport and some other places.
- Sunrise around 6 am. Sunset around 9 pm.
- People speak Bulgarian. English is spoken at touristic areas.
- Criminality: Not much, but valuables should be removed from the vehicles or hidden if we move far from the vehicle.
- Restaurant tip is usually 5-10%, or at least that you round up.
What to bring
- Bird book
- Note book
- Passport (no Visa is needed)
- Driving license? We will use minibus on the excursion
- Clothes (see General information)
- Toiletries, including sun protection and mosquito repellent (not a big problem)
- Insurance for travel and health (you are not insured by Nord University)